Tuesday 3 January 2012

A look back at the year that was...

Happy New Year! I read this list of questions on another blog, Real Moms Guide and thought it would be fun to try answering them myself. So here's a look back at my year... Enjoy!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?

Became a mother.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't usually make resolutions, but maybe this year I'll resolve to be an organized mother, a more patient and less forgetful wife and I'll try to get mote sleep! Oh and I resolve to nap train my son. For real this time, I swear!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

This was the year of births among my family and friends. Lots of wonderful women in my life became mothers for the first, second and even fourth time! My son will have lots of friends growing up.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

I'm happy to say no and that this was the first year in a long time that I didn't attend a single funeral.

5. What countries did you visit?

This year we kept it close to home. We stayed in Canada and crossed the border to the US for a few short road trips.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

More sleep!

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

February 13th - my son's birthday. Oh and October 31st - the first time he slept through the night!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Becoming a mother - and mastering breastfeeding after many challenges.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I don't believe in failure. Only challenges... Okay, maybe that's not completely true. My biggest failure was in establishing a proper daytime sleep schedule for my son. Which is why my New Year's resolution is to successfully nap train him before I go back to work in (gulp) five weeks.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I sprained my ankle once, while going to my crying baby in the middle of the night.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

New washer and dryer!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My son's - whenever there was a first milestone. First smile, laugh, rolling over, crawling, cruising, eating solids, babbling... Well, you get the picture. Lately he celebrates his own accomplishments with applause!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My son's- when he wouldn't sleep through the night!

14. Where did most of your money go?

This was the year everything needed repair or replacing. So apart from diapers, most money was spent on repairing or replacing appliances and other things around the house.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

My son's birth (I know, this is getting repetitive!)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

Not pregnant! Last year at this time I was weeks away from giving birth and nervous as hell. This year, I'm weeks away from going back to work and nervous as hell.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Taking walks with my baby outside.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying about things that are not important and that I can't change.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

On a family roadshow! We visited four different homes in 24 hours. But it was great to share baby's first Christmas with our extended family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?

Yes :-)

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Modern Family! We discovered it this year and love it.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

No. I try not to hate anyone and give everyone a chance. And I can also honestly say that there are some people I like even better this year than last.

24. What was the best book you read?

I didn't read as many of the kinds of books I usually enjoy this year. Most were related to how to get your baby to sleep. But I guess the novel I enjoyed the most was One Day by David Nicholls.

25. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I spent a fun day with a good friend and our sons. I turned 32.

26. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I wouldn't change a thing. Okay, maybe more sleep.

27. What kept you sane?

My husband.

28. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

Anything worth having in life takes hard work. It might be difficult to achieve your goals but working hard and achieving them makes you appreciate them even more.

29. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink. I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink..." The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment