It's official. Next week, I will be a working mother. After a wonderful year of maternity leave, it's time to put on my big girl pants and go back to work.
People keep asking me how I feel about going back. My answer is always the same: I have mixed feelings. Some days I can't wait, some days I wish I were going to be a stay-at-home mom forever. This year has just flown by and I feel like my baby just wasn't a baby for very long! But deep down, I miss work. See? Mixed feelings!
So in order to help myself through the transition, I've compiled a list of things I will miss and things I won't miss.
- A free and unlimited supply of baby hugs and kisses throughout the day
- Watching my son grow and thrive all day long, especially when he masters a new skill
- Going to the movies on Wednesday afternoons
- Playdates with other mommies
- Wearing yoga pants every day (see also below: what I won't miss)
- Rachael Ray in the mornings and Ellen in the afternoons
- Taking a more relaxed approach to life and not living according to a tightly organized schedule
- The summer! (seems so long ago now...)
What I won't miss:
- Wearing yoga pants every day
- Sometimes not brushing my teeth or changing out of my pjs before 11 am
- Struggling to get my son to nap
- Being housebound because of the weather (too hot, too cold, too snowy, too icy, too rainy)... Sometimes for days on end!
- Breastfeeding... We had a good long run but I'm glad to have my body back to myself again
I think I will miss a lot of things but the worst part of it all is that I will see my son for so few hours in the day. I may find myself sneaking into his room at night just to watch him sleep!
Oh well, as heartbreaking as it is to leave him behind every day, I must admit I look forward to seeing my colleagues again and getting a real paycheque again will feel good!
In the meantime I am getting my fill of hugs and kisses and I'm enjoying every last minute of this precious time!
See you on the flip side!