Thursday 29 September 2011

Another blog is born…

Hello blogosphere! They say a new blog is born every half second. I’m willing to bet a significant chunk of those blogs are the ever-popular mommy blogs. Why? Because, as I’ve learned in the almost eight months since my son was born, moms seem to be resourceful, community-minded women who rally together to learn from one another, share their experiences and relate to each other. Or at least the ones I’ve seen online are.

In the long, sleepless days and nights of my baby’s newborn life, I certainly found comfort in reading mommy blogs. It was soothing to read about other women having similar experiences with everything from breastfeeding to colic to diaper rashes to first smiles, first laughs and first steps. I wasn’t alone in the world at 3 am as I struggled to get my baby to nurse, watching bad late-night television and surfing the web on my iPad. The internet became my lifeline.

So now it’s my turn to start blogging. I’m a writer by training and trade, a professional communicator, so why not? Plus, I’ve been told on Facebook that people found my baby anecdotes amusing. I figured this would be a great place to capture my experience as a first-time mom, while maybe providing the same support to others that I found in the mommy blog world. And if no one reads this, I will at least feel like I found a place to get all the unwritten thoughts out of my head!

Truth be told, if I could have I would have started doing this much earlier. When I was pregnant, I naively thought I’d have a lovely, quiet baby who would take long naps and I could fill all my new spare time with writing. Ha! My son quickly proved himself to be against that idea.

He is not, and has never been, a good sleeper. His naps are never more than 30 minutes each. Thirty minutes! That hardly gives me enough time to go pee and brush my teeth, let alone write a blog! And the nights… well, let’s not go there just yet but suffice it to say that I haven’t slept a full night in a long time. So it’s taken me awhile to get to this point, but you’ll hear all about that in future posts. I’ll be talking about all kinds of new mommy issues, funny stories and sharing my experiences as I navigate the waters of motherhood.

In the meantime, I’m thrilled to be the newest mommy blogger in town and can’t wait to see if anyone actually reads this. I certainly hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment